Planning your degree
This article applies to the 36-credit version of the MBA program. If you are on the 30-credit version, which started for the final time in Summer 2020, click here for more degree planning information.
- View Degree Requirements
- View Course Catalog
- View Class Schedules & Textbooks
- View Sample Schedule
- Download Degree Planning Worksheet (Excel file)
General Planning Notes
- In order to be eligible for financial aid, a student must be registered in a minimum of four credits in spring/fall, three credits in summer.
- In general, we recommend taking 4-5 credits in spring/fall, 1-5 credits in summer, and 1 credit in winter. Each student varies in what they can handle, so there is flexibility to this.
- In spring/fall, nine credits is considered a full time load for a graduate student, while six credits is considered full time in summer, and three credits is full time in winter.
- MBA 700 must be taken in the first term it's available to you. Typically, this class is done when taking the Business Essentials (MBA 708 and MBA 709).
- The maximum time to degree is seven years from when your first MBA class was taken. Most students finish in 2.5-3 years, taking about one class at a time.
- Required program core classes must be taken in order. After taking the Business Essentials/MBA 701, you will be guaranteed a spot in each subsequent core class in the following terms, as long as you register for the next class within two weeks once registration opens. If you don't enroll within the two-week window, we can't guarantee you a spot in future terms. You may have to wait until there is an opening in the class you need in a future term, which could delay graduation. We do our best to get students back into the course sequence when they would like, but each class has limited space.
Sample Sequence of Courses
The following sample sequence assumes that Fall is the first term you're taking a class. The Business Essentials and core courses are offered in Fall, Spring, and Summer, so this sequence can be adjusted to reflect an alternate starting term. The elective sequencing is a suggestion and is open to some flexibility to meet your individual needs.
Fall 1 - MBA 700, MBA 708, MBA 709 (5 credits)
Winter 1 - MBA elective (1 credit)
Spring 1 - MBA 701 (4 credits)
Summer 1 - MBA electives (3 credits)
Fall 2 - MBA 702 (4 credits)
Winter 2 - MBA elective (1 credit)
Spring 2 - MBA 703 (4 credits)
Summer 2 - MBA electives (4 credits)
Fall 3 - MBA 704 (4 credits)
Winter 3 - MBA elective (1 credit)
Spring 3 - MBA 705, MBA 710 (5 credits)